A first class pair of steps or stairs for above ground pool owners are not just a “nice to have” they are an essential.
Entering and exiting your above ground pool safely has an even higher safety priority than pool hygiene. A slip, trip or fall from any height is dangerous, but given that some of the larger above ground pools can be over 50 inches high, a fall could be life changing.
Owning an above ground pool is brilliant, but getting in and out of it is sometimes not quite so great !!
Of course our swimming pools are bought for family, friends, and everybody to enjoy, and of course everybody means everybody, all ages, weights and physical abilities. Not everyone is comfortable scaling a ladder to enjoy the pleasure of the pool, in fact some folk simply can’t do it. That’s where sensible above ground pool steps or stair upgrades are a must have safety option.
All manufacturers of substantial above ground pool provide some kind of entry /exit system to the pool, but unfortunately this is where they can sometimes see an opportunity to cut costs. Whilst the ladders may be adequate for the young and nimble, they certainly don’t suit everybody, and all physical abilities.
For example this website, and this editor thinks that the Intex range of above ground pools is just brilliant, but most owners would probably agree that they could do better with the entry and exit ladder that they provide as standard with their pools. Compared to the rest of the excellent package the ladder can be best described as just basic.
Fortunately there are a number of first class above ground pool steps and stair alternatives on the market to upgrade to. They will ensure a stress free, and safe transition from dry land to the cooling pleasures of your above ground pool.
We have categorised the best options for above ground pool ladders, “A frame” steps, and step to deck stairs separately. The key features of each are noted with our recommendations based on quality and cost for best in class.
- 1 BEST STEPS FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
- 2 BEST STAIRS FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
- 3 BEST LADDER FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
- 4 ESSENTIAL EXTRAS.
BEST STEPS FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
Confer A-Frame Steps For Above Ground Pool
- Roll Guard A-Frame Ladder with 9 x 30 Inch Step Pad Combo
- Locking Roll Guard safety barrier covers the outside ladder treads to prohibit unwanted pool access
- Safety barrier easily rolls onto the inside of the ladder preventing access behind the ladder in the pool
- Super thick, chemical resistant vinyl Step Pad is designed to protect your vinyl liner under the ladder
- Designed for pools up to 56 inches tall
Additional Editors Notes on the Confer A Frame Steps:
The sturdy Confer pool steps provide a really stable and safe pool entry point. This is a quality product made from thick, heavy duty, chemical resistant vinyl.
The “A Frame” design incorporates a brilliant security roller guard system that covers the access stairs to the pool rendering them unusable. This is a lockable feature so is able to keep the most determined child from entering the pool via the steps.
As an additional safety feature an integrated anti-entanglement curtain is incorporated into the poolside steps.
The robust and security conscious Confer steps for above ground pool are our recommended Best Buy.
Blue Wave Neptune A-Frame Above Ground Pool Steps
- Adjustable to fit pools from 48-inch to 56-inch in depth
- 300-Pound weight capacity
- Only consumes a mere 22-inch of swimming space in your pool
- All treads and platform is non-skid
- Meets all national and local codes for entrapment
Additional Editors Notes on the Blue Wave Neptune A-Frame Pool Steps:
The Blue Wave pool entry system is constructed from a UV protected, strong durable resin. The design architecture and the manufacturing material means that these above ground pool steps can take the weight of a 300 lbs swimmer.
The steps have a built in self closing gate system for pool security. For additional safety on entry/exit the generous stair treads and platform have been made non-skid.
Anti entanglement side curtains are slotted to ensure no dead spots in the pool circulation.
Snap-lock construction system makes the Blue Wave steps very easy to assemble.
Vinyl Works Slide-Lock A-Frame Above Ground Pool Ladder
- Adjustable to fit pool walls from 48-56 inches
- 300 pound weight capacity
- Permanently embossed with "no diving/no jumping" warnings, slide lock design - exterior ladder can slide up and lock into Place to prevent access to the pool
- 4 treads each side - 17.25" wide x 3.5" deep, top platform with anti-skid surface- 18.5" wide x 11.5" deep, double extended handrails - extend 10" downward on both side to facilitate climbing
- Anti-entrapment barrier included, can convert to deck mounting with separate kit, accepts pool fence with separate connector kit
Additional Editors Notes on the Vinyl Works Slide-Lock A-Frame Ladder
Despite being a budget above ground pool ladder, Vinyl Works, the manufacturer have still managed to produce an excellent product with a quality durable finish.
This ladder features a “slide-lock” system, the entry side ladder section can slide up and locked to form a security barrier.
Features include anti-skid surfaces, extended handrails and stainless steel hardware.
To meet new safety laws a swim-through barrier is also included in the pack.
Splash Deluxe A-Frame Steps for Above Ground Pool
- Removable outside steps
- Snap Lock assembly
- Anti-Entrapment Barrier
- Extra Wide Steps
- Free Lifetime customer support
Additional Editors Notes on the Splash Pools Deluxe A-Frame Ladder
Manufactured in the USA these all resin A-Frame above ground pool steps safety features include removable outside access steps to make the pool inaccessible to the little ones.
Able to fit above ground pools between 48 and 54 inches and carry a weight capacity of 220 lbs.
As required by law the pool has an anti swim through barrier to avoid entanglement between the steps and the pool liner wall.
Snap fit for easy assembly. It takes less than an hour to complete, and the instructions as you would expect from a U.S. manufacturer are easy to follow.
BEST STAIRS FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
Confer Plastics Above Ground Pool Stairs. White with Blue Steps.
- For above ground pools with flat bottoms. Easy, snap together installation.
- White with blue steps for high visibility in water. Large, flat steps (each with 270 square inches) complete with two all-plastic handrails.
- Mounting brackets included; secures unit to pool or deck.
- Side openings allow water circulation behind unit to inhibit algae growth
- ECONOMICAL AND STRONG - Holds 400 pounds. Fits Decks up to 60 inches
Additional Editors Notes on the Confer Above Ground Swimming Pool Stairs
These robust stairs can be mounted to pools or decks up to 60 inches high
Maximum weight capacity and impressive 400 lbs. Measurement to top step 47 inches with a total height 81 inches. Step treads measure 27 inches W x 8 inches D.
Sand or ballast material added to the stairs via the four hand rail holes prior to securing rails.
Easy assembly using the Confer snap together system.
These excellent Confer Above Ground Pool Stairs are our recommended Best Buy.
Confer Above Ground Pool Stairs
- Molded, super strong, chemical resistant resin holds up to 400 pounds
- Base Step Dimensions: 32 inches D x 47 inches H, 38 inches W
- Step Tread Dimensions: 27 inches W x 10 inches D x 11 inches H
- Includes adjustable base pads and 24 inch oversized deck mounting brackets
- Sides fill with sand or pea gravel and is backed by a 5 year warranty
Additional Editors Notes on the Confer Above Ground Pool Stairs
The best selling Confer above ground pool access systems are all made from super durable, chemical resistant resin so color fade will not be a problem.
A super sturdy architecture of these above ground pool stairs means they are able to carry up to the eye watering maximum weight of 400 lbs.
This base step is part of a modular system so you can add on a rounded corner section if desired. This can be purchased separately.
Assembly is a breeze it easily snaps together without the need for tools. Built with adjustable base pads, which are useful, but must be treated with caution. They definitely need auxiliary protection between the pads and the pool liner..
A comforting 5 year guarantee
XtremepowerUS Stairs for Above Ground Pools
- Assemble in minutes with easy snap-together design that requires minimal tools and hardware
- Outer steps slide up and lock out of reach of children
- Accommodates 48'' to 54'' deep pools
- Dimensions: 74'' H x 32'' W x 33'' D
- 40Lbs Sand Required (Not included)
Additional Editors Notes on the XtremepowerUS Above Ground Pool Stair
Step owners are generally happy with the product, however the handrails in particular are rather flimsy in comparison to the build quality of the rest of the stairs.
When buying this product weighting material should be purchased at the same time to stop the stairs floating. A common feature of most pool above ground pool steps and stairs.
Blue Wave Easy Above Ground Pool Stairs
- Overal Dimensions = 81" Height, 32" Depth, 32.5" Width
- Step Dimensions = 10" x 27"
- Assemlby required
Additional Editors Notes on the Confer Above Ground Swimming Pool Stairs
This sturdy above ground pool access system is made from a durable, no maintenance polyethylene material.
These stairs will fit above ground pools up to 54 inches deep.
Perforated step systems assists pool hygiene by eliminating dead circulation areas.
The Easy Pool above ground pool stairs meet or exceed all NSPI standards for safety and swimmer entrapment.
BEST LADDER FOR ABOVE GROUND POOL
Blue Wave Premium Stainless Steel In Pool Ladder
- Reinforced stainless steel rails
- Fits above ground pools up to 54 in. deep
- Deep, non-skid stainless steel treads
- Pivot bottom to accommodate sloped pool bottoms
- Extra wide 24 in. width for easy entry and exit
Swimline Above Ground Pool Ladder
- Adjustable size for 48" - 52" pool walls
- Non-slip molded steps
- Aluminum and plastic
Easy-Incline Above Ground Pool Ladder
- Bottom step is 9.5 inches deep, top step is 6.5 inches deep. Steps in between decrease gradually.
- Includes all necessary mounting hardware.
- 300 lb. capacity
- For flat bottom pools up to 52 in. deep
- Can be installed on any above-ground pool deck.
Images from Amazon Product Advertising